For our first ‘Meet The Teacher’ interview this academic year, we are diving into the world of mathematics to introduce André Astbury-Palmer, our new Maths Teacher at Eltham College.
In this short but personal interview, we got to know Andre better, learned what he likes the most about working here and found out what he would do if he could switch lives with one person a day:
- Where did you work before Eltham College?
I have worked at Dulwich Prep London, Langley Park School for Boys and, most recently, Wetherby Senior School.
- What do you like most about working here? The students are a joy to teach, the staff are friendly and welcoming, the grounds are spectacular, and the food is incredible! Truly is a great school to be working at.
- What are you looking forward to this academic year with the students? I actually always look forward to the public exam season in May and June. I enjoy going the extra mile to help students prepare for exams. I hope that all my students will feel confident and ready when the exams roll around!
- Share a funny story from your teaching career. I taught the children of a very famous ex-England footballer. When I met him for the first time, I was star stuck and introduced myself nervously. He replied simply “Oh, I know who you are!”.
- If you could switch lives with one person for a day, who would it be and why? Tough question! Probably the Prime Minister or President of the US. Then I could introduce lots of green policies to tackle climate change so the next generation have a greener and safer world!
- What’s one thing students and staff might not know about you? I won a certificate of excellence at the Pearson National Teaching Awards 2023. Also, I love football trivia!