At Eltham we intend to encourage and extend an enjoyment, appreciation and understanding of English, and to create an atmosphere where students wish to learn.
Students will experience a variety of activities during their course of study and be given opportunities to discuss, argue and debate their views. Department staff will aim to show the benefits that language and literature have brought us, by way of well-chosen resources and careful comment.
The department enthusiastically pursues the following academic aims:
- To foster students’ ability to read accurately and independently, and to distinguish between a broad spectrum of texts through extensive reading
- To develop students’ ability to write clearly, accurately, imaginatively and analytically with a wide vocabulary in a variety of forms
- To develop students’ knowledge about different kinds of English, and about language, by exploring the structure and origin of words
- To enable students to speak confidently in a range of circumstances, and to listen and respond appropriately
- To encourage students’ informed personal responses, and to promote an awareness of, and respect for, other people’s perspectives
- To create an environment where students enjoy their English lessons and increase in confidence orally and on paper